Tags: application, based, concurrent, connections, database, db2, increase, linux, maximum, mysql, number, oracle, server, sql, udb, users, web, websphere
how to increase maximum connections
I have DB2 UDB 7.1 on linux 7.0 and websphere as Application Server.My application web based one so the number of concurrent users are more.when more number of users are trying to access the web site DB2 database is refusing conneection.Iam getting error "Maximum Number of Applications already connected to database". Please let me know is there any way to increase number of connections and get rid og this problem.
Leave a comment...
- 8 Comments
- Try checking the MAXAPPLS, and the MAXAGENTS settings (in the db cfg if I remember correctly).#1; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:37:00 GMT
- Increasing MAXAPPLS will help you solve the problem.
(check for the constraints abt these param in db2 admin guide)
Deven.#2; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:38:00 GMT
- Hi... along with maxappls, make sure you check maxagents. Important to make sure that each application that is connecting has a db2agent to be assigned to it. If you're running an SMP enabled environment, tracking db2agents with a high app volume becomes more important.#3; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:40:00 GMT
- I tried to increase MAXIMUM_APPLs.but i was getting error you dont have permissions to change .only super users can do that.
iam logging in as db2inst1 .Is db2inst1 not a super user then who is the super user for db2.#4; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:40:00 GMT
- The ID you were using, is it for the creator of the database? Also, what was the exact command you were using? (db2 update db cfg for <database name> using MAXAPPLS <value>)#5; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:41:00 GMT
- Dear Raj thanks for timely help.
Iam using the following command
"update db cfg for sample using maxappls 60 "
I have two users for db2 db2inst1 and myadmin.myadmin is the creator of database.this is what i presumed from schema name(same as user name).so do i need to login as myadmin and change the configuration.what if he does not have permissions then what permissions i have to grant him and how?.
Also if i execute GET DATABASE CONFIGURATION FOR dbname.system simply hangs nothing is happening,what could be the problem.#6; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:43:00 GMT
Thanks alot for the help.I was able to increase the MAXAPPLS and MAXAGENTS now database is working fine.
Iam bit curious about settting these parameters.
Is there way to know optimum number of maxappls and maxagents that can be set ? or its just a trial and error approach.If anybody can provide any resource or advice it is highly appreciated.
Once again thanks guys for timely help#7; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:43:00 GMT
- Hi. I like to use the 'highwater mark' approach...
Set the values to an abnormally high value. Take snapshots throughout the day, from times where there is generally less activity to times where there is a high volume of activity. Do this over a couple of days to generate a more 'accurate' average of the maximum number of connections at any one time. You can then use this average to be the value to set in the cfg. I like to add 10-20% for 'just in case'.
Hope this helps, Raj#8; Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:45:00 GMT